Monday, May 2, 2011

Review: Keren Ann - 101

Artist: Keren Ann
Title: 101
Format: Full-length
Year: 2011
Label: EMI
Genre: Relaxing, poppy singer-songwriter
Rating: 66 / 100

It has been almost 4 years now, since Keren Ann previous (self-titled) record was released, it has been about 2 years now since I finally discovered her music, being introduced to her through her fantastic song Not Going Anywhere. As this song still counts as one of my all time favourites, expectations were fairly high for this album, it took her four years, so I couldn't imagine such a wonderful musician would disappoint me. Unfortunately, and even 'though it's still quite a decent album, the French/Jewish/Dutch/Indonesian/Israeli/whatever singer-wongwriter did disappoint me a little bit. I was just expecting a bit more from her. 

Overall I would describe this album as being a bit "careful", there are no sharp edges, no exciting structures or daring vocal debaucheries, just this soft, melodic pop music. I was eating vanilla custard this afternoon, while listening this new Keren Ann LP, and I have to say the slightly sickly taste of the custard could pretty well be compared to 101. It's is a bit sweet, a bit sticky, a bit creamy, but nothing your tongue would be surprised by. Just like my ears weren't really surprised by hearing her new album. Now, this might sound a bit negative, but I wouldn't go as far as calling this a huge vexation or anything like that, it's just... I have listened this album almost 5 times, but still, almost none of the songs really grabbed my by the throat, be it emotionally ór musically.

You might have noticed me saying "almost", you might be currently asking yourself: "why almost none?", well, somewhere in the middle of the album You Were On Fire kicks in, a fabulous, melancholic pop song, drenched in strings and having this really catchy nostalgic melody. 1 out of 11 isn't that much, I admit, but it keeps me awake during a listening session, which is really important, in my opinion, if you make the kind of smooth music Keren Ann does. 

A track like You Were On Fire surprisingly keeps me from disliking this album too much, and as a result, making me able to give this album a strong 6. Yes, Keren Ann disappointed me a little bit, but she's still a lovely musician, and still capable of recording this 40+ minutes of qualitatively well-written music. It's just a bit too careful and too smooth for me to really grab my attention, just that tiny lack of emotional defiance, which makes me rate this album as "decent" instead of "lovely".

Where did Julia Stone go?

Selwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spread the love