Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shit's Awes0me: James Vincent McMorrow

Good afternoon dear interwebz,

Last year I wasn't really paying any attention to new albums coming out, making me miss some very fine records that were released that year. One of those was the amazing debut album of Irish singer-songwriter James Vincent McMorrow entitled Early in the Morning. Already from the first listen I have been kind of of obsessed with his lovely falsetto voice, his melancholic folky instrumentation and nostalgic lyrics. Last year I had Angus & Julia Stone's second album as number one in my list of that year, the only reason it's wasn't on the second place is because it wasn't until two weeks ago before I finally discovered James Vincent McMorrow.

The opening track of the album: If I Had a Boat has been recorded live by Soul Kitchen, and was posted on Youtube, even 'though the album version is already near perfection, I just fell in love with this version, so much even, I assure you your life will continue in misery if you decide not to listen.



Yesterday I was complaining a bit about the lack of continuity on The Raveonettes new album Raven in the Grave, well that's probabaly an issue James Vincent McMorrow has never heard of. Every song on his debut is very special in its own manner, making it one extremely beautiful unity, still with enough variation to not get boring at any moment. Where most other (awes0me) albums leave me with a feeling of saturation, this album leaves me with a feeling of longing, longing for option a) his beautiful voice, or option b) a hug. Now I am of course aware option b) doesn't belong in the list of possibilites, but I am so happy option a) is.

Apparently enough James Vincent has its very own Youtube channel where he has posted some of his tracks, of which for one an official video was made, again I will probably not be able to live any further without grabbing this chance of making the interwebz aware of James Vincent McMorrow's awes0meness.



It's still not summer, and you know it,

Selwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spread the love